RSS Feed Print
Paying up front for publishing, is it normal or not?
Kimberly Kiehne
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:05 AM

My book was submitted to a publishing company and they decided they want to publish it. they want either all of the money upfront, or i can pay it off in three payments during the publishing process. is this normal? i have had a lot of people tell me that i should not be paying upfront for it. they should take it off of the proceeds, please help!
Marshall R Maresca
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:35 AM

Not! Absolutely not!

If a publisher isn't paying YOU, they aren't a real publisher. PERIOD.
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:10 AM

Anyone who demands money up front like that is a scammer.
Kimberly Kiehne
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:44 PM

That's what I thought. Thank you. Do either of you know a legit publish I might want to talk to?
stephmcgee
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 1:05 PM

The Big 6 (or Big 5, depending on where you're looking for your information) won't take manuscripts that are submitted sans agent. Check out Preditors and Editors to make sure any indie publisher you approach is legit. I have a good friend publishing with Rhemalda Publishing. They're small and independent, you don't need an agent, and you absolutely do not pay any money to them.
AJR Sottil
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 12:38 AM

Mr. Kiehne, absolutely not. I would not recommend doing so. Since when do you have to pay to get published? Mind you, they might be a legitimate publisher, with a different model, but I have never heard of it.

And I agree with steph. Unless you go indie, you need an agent. An agent also helps as the first line of editing...

Jump to different Forum...