RSS Feed Print
How long should you pursue Agents?
Mary Lou Ball
Posted: Thursday, May 5, 2011 6:30 PM

Hi I'm new to BC. I wirte Inspirational Romantic Suspense. When I first completed my novel I started sending queries to Publishers directly. Yes I got rejection ( I think I recieved maybe 7 before I got one that outlined some common area problems. Which caused my to do a rewrite. I'm still in the rewrite process. So I'm thinking the next time around I'll go for a Agent rep. How long should I pursue this avanue?
Elizabeth Sogard
Posted: Sunday, May 8, 2011 8:47 PM

I send out queries in waves, for exactly the reason you did. You did it, found that it didn't work then you revised it. When it is done send it out again, and revise, and send, and revise.

I am one of those nutty optimists and for me, not writing isn't an option, so I may as well get paid for doing it. Keep going and don't lose heart. Don't stop trying to improve either.

There is no way you will ever hear me say quit. Adapt and try again.
Joe Selby
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 3:52 PM

I recommend querying agents before querying publishers. Aside from the myriad pitfalls an unagented author will not know to avoid in contract negotiation, you limit your options by going to a publisher first. If you query publishers and get rejections then query agents and find representation, they won't be able to go back to the publishers you already queried (unless your rewrite is so different that a publisher that rejected it is effectively seeing a new story).
Robert C Roman
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 4:11 AM

Riffing on what Joe said, it also depends on what your rejections said. If they were form letter 'sorry, not interested', you'll have to do serious recreation, if your agent can submit at all. If, on the other hand, you receive a 'Here are the key problem areas, we wouldn't mind seeing this again, get an agent', you could probably resubmit to that publisher without hesitation, assuming you fixed the problems.

Jump to different Forum...