RSS Feed Print
Any good Ipad writing/story plotting/character building apps?
Lisa Hoekstra
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2011 2:48 AM

Hi all! I've read though the discussion on software everyone uses for writing and was wondering if anyone uses ipad/ipod/iphone apps to help with writing?

I got an ipad for Christmas and am looking into apps to use so that I can keep my story in one place (right now I work on my computer here and at work, so I'm constantly working on the story, saving it, uploading to google docs, downloading to my computer, repeating...)

Also, I'm looking for something that will allow me to keep detailed character, setting & plot notes... I found an app called Storyist, though it doesn't appear to be compatible with PC, which is unfortunate... and just downloaded a free app called A Novel Idea (hey, if it's free, might as well try it!)  I was wondering which, if any, apps BC people use? Any suggestions?   

GD Deckard
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:40 PM
I'd be happy with a simple word processor for the iPod Touch. That'd allow me to easily jot down thoughts. Are there any out there that you've tried and can recommend?
Lisa Hoekstra
Posted: Thursday, December 1, 2011 11:21 AM

Right now I have Quickoffice Pro (it was $14.99 when I bought the app about a year ago and worth it). It's essentially Microsoft Office for the Ipad (only not by Microsoft). It syncs with clouds like Google Documents. I find there are less tools and gadgets than in Miscrosoft Office, but it works for those moments when you're inspired and just need to type it out.

Also, it's password protected if you so desire.

Other than that, there's the standard Notes app, which I believe comes with the ipad...

I have heard rumours that Miscrosoft Office is coming out with it's own app. But I don't know how true they are... 
GD Deckard
Posted: Thursday, December 1, 2011 9:02 PM
Thanks Lisa. I'll check it out.
GD Deckard
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:15 PM

Writing in Microsoft Word on an iPad

The Pages app from Apple's app store allows you to convert a Microsoft Word file into Pages, write on your iPad, then convert the Pages file back into Microsoft Word. Just get it for $10 & install it on your PC & on your iPad. It is as easy to use as 1-2-3:

1. Start by using your PC to upload your story as a Microsoft Word file onto iCloud (free & includes 5 gig of file space. But, your iPad must be running the new iOS5 operating system.)
2. Log onto iCloud with your iPad & open the file -it opens in Pages- and write your story from anywhere that has an Internet connection.
3. Download the file to your PC anytime & open it in Microsoft Word. You can save it in Microsoft Word format.

I've been using Pages this way and the only tricky part is when I save a Pages file in my old Microsoft Word 2007, the space between lines can be erratic. But minor formatting issues can be resolved simply by reformatting: 1, Select All & 2, select the Font Type and Size you want. If Word asks you if you want to "convert" the file when you save, answer yes.

Any questions?

jasonstover9
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 12:00 PM

I used an android app. Not sure what it is called. But it generates first and last names. Kind of in a list. There are others, that generate random likes and dislikes for charactures.

You could always build an app. But you would have to use code academy, which first teaches you. Then appsgyser wich allows you to build the app for free.

Other than that just, search writers tools for ipad. On google. See what comes up.

Jonathan L
Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 3:39 PM

My favorite App is Name Dice. It is free. Available on all platforms; Android, iOS, Windows, and Kindle. It is 99 cents on the NOOK. It is made by Thinkamingo. You can visit their site here: http://thinkamingo.com/name-dice/

The reason I love this app is because sometimes I just need a name really fast. A waitress, a police officer, the Mayor... all you do is "roll" the dice and it gives you a random name. Don't like the name? Roll again and again until you do. If you liked the first one best, just go back.

Another cool thing you can do with the app is use it to make up writing exercises. Roll twice and than based on the names write a short story. It's pretty fun.

Another app I use all the time is Pages, it is like Microsoft Word but it is made by Apple.

Danielle Bowers
Posted: Monday, June 9, 2014 12:13 PM

I use Pages quite a bit on my iPad and writing on it is easy with a wireless keyboard.  Another app I use quite a bit is one called Writer's App that allows me to organize characters, scenes, locations into categories and subcategories.  It's not perfect, but it helps me keep things organized.

Jump to different Forum...