RSS Feed Print
Action Scene Theory
Michael L Martin Jr
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:05 PM

tl;dr - What are your intentions when you wrote/write your action scenes? How do you get that across to the reader? How do you convey real danger for your characters?

Action scenes aren't all created equal. I think of action scenes as any scene that focuses more on what's happening in that moment as opposed to exposition scenes where information is being conveyed. That won't always be an accurate definition, which is the reason I started this topic, to hear what you think. I don't have all the answers.

An action scene could be as small as two characters playing a game of chess for the last pair of shoes in the universe, and as big as a battle for middle earth. They can be as simple as a roller-blading down devil's backbone, and as complicated as Neo fighting a million Agents Smiths.

I think the heart of any action scene lies more in the character's struggle, and less about the threat of any danger. Good action scenes have more behind it than the action itself. Personally, I've never once read a book or watched a film, and felt any sense of tension from the dangerous situations depicted in the story. For me, the tension lies more so in how I feel about the character, and what I want to happen to them in terms of success or failure. The character has a goal. The conflict is preventing him or her from achieving that goal. We either root for him to succeed or fail. What we never do (or maybe it's just me) is sit on the edge of our seat thinking the character has any chance of dying (unless you're reading George R. R. Martin). Depending on the story, the main character could already be dead.

All action scenes aren't about life or death. Most seem to boil down to win or lose. Life or death is probably the most extreme version win or lose. You could also refer to it as: success or failure.

If you've ever watched a superhero film, I don't think you've ever once felt that Spiderman/Batman/Superman ever had a chance of dying. There would be no movie if they did. In the opening of each James Bond film, we meet Mr. Bond in media res. He's in the middle of some random mission. We don't ever feel his life is in any danger, particularly in these opening scenes, because well, the movie just started. The hero can't die yet. Otherwise, the movie is over.

We're not meant to feel tension over his safety. The tension lies in the potential success or failure of the mission. And sometimes that's not even important. In those opening scenes we have no idea what the mission even is. We root for 007 to win merely because we like him. And if he loses (rarely), we feel sympathy for him because we know he's more than capable enough of winning. He's just having a bad day. We're familiar with his skills, and we've seen him struggle, so when he does fail, we pat our hero on the back and say, "You'll get'em next time James." Then we anxiously wait for the moment he does something clever and wins in the end.

Also, sometimes action scenes are simply cool images (Michael Bay splosions!!!). Eye candy--or imagination candy when it comes to books. We all like different things when it comes to action.

Enough of my rambling. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

stephmcgee
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:47 PM

I don't typically like starting my books off with action in the "fights! explosions! crap!" sense. More like the quiet action of a life soon to be disrupted. Action sequences, things taht go on, are definitely all about that "will the hero succeed at his micro-goal at this point in the story or is there going to be a roadblock?" sort of action.
Philip Tucker
Posted: Thursday, May 5, 2011 9:19 PM

An action scene need not contain any violence; coercion and threat can suffice in the hands of a fine writer like Lee Child. A recent book opens as his character Jack Reacher gets off a bus at a crossroads before dawn, walks to a town where he has never been before and knows no one, and buys coffee at a diner. Before he can finish the newspaper, he is arrested at gunpoint by town police officers.

The scene has everything an action scene needs: menace, mystery, conflict, movement, and most importantly, plenty of adrenaline. Guns are drawn, but no punch is ever thrown.

Elizabeth Moon
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 12:53 AM

Michael:   You asked what the intention was when writing an action scene...action scenes move the story along, usually increasing the pace.  In some genres, intense, almost constant action is expected by readers; in others, low-intensity (nonviolent) is expected.   So the genre (which gives you the reader expectation for that kind of book), the position in the story, and the overall plot arc and character determine the intention...my intention is always to glue the reader to the book.  

I agree that action doesn't always mean the ninja team crashing into the room, or car chases with explosions (that staple of action TV and movies).   An action scene is a scene whose plot relevance should be immediately obvious (something's happening, and it's important in some way) and in which the character is strongly motivated to do whatever action it is.  Find something, start something, stop something., etc.    Fashion also comes into it--there was a time when thrillers started more slowly than they do now, but visual media have conditioned readers to expect something to happen immediately.   Thrillers are nearly always one-volume stories;  epic fantasy, which is often multi-volume (to give room for the scope of the story, the cast of characters, etc.)  can start a little more slowly (not slowly, for modern readers) because it has plenty of room for action later. 

Good action scenes  have their own arc, and are integrated into the larger overall story arc.  The scene arc rises higher and has steeper "slopes" than a non-action scene.  Action scenes are great for revealing character while moving the story along (characters and readers both react strongly to moments with perceived higher risk...risk of anything.)   It helps to have established the character first (even if this scene is going to reveal something new about the character) so the reader isn't trying to juggle too much at once.  I agree that the scene should--while the action is going on--keep a focus on the character's motivations and reactions to the action.   This lets the reader experience the action rather than just watch it.  But the arc also matters...from the character's realization that he/she must do something through the doing of it to the result (good or bad)  that ends the scene arc and sets up the next scene.

In an action-heavy book, it's important to vary the kind of action scene--if it's car chases from start to finish, that's going to wear out after a short time except for car-chase enthusiasts.   The reader shouldn't ever become jaded with one kind of action scene, or one level of intensity, or one motivation getting the protagonist into a situation.   There may be a "big" motivation (revenge for the killing of a family member) but along the way the protagonist will have others--he's hungry, tired, confused, bored, annoyed with people for something not related to his big motivation.   The minor motivations lead to action scenes that may in fact connect with the big one (while stopping at a diner because he hasn't eaten since the day before, he overhears something he thinks has to do with his quest, but asking questions leads to being recognized as the grieving father who was on TV last year asking about his missing wife/daughter/son.)   Variations in intensity, spacing, and type of action make a book more interesting and less predictable. 

napacione
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 1:29 AM

One thing that allows you to create a powerful fight sequence;  as Joseph Armstead and Barbara Shenouda told me about this one -- put in a movie by Jet Li or They Live as I did a female version of the They Live brawl.   In horror a fight scene is sometimes the climates between the killer where the monster is not always defeated but comes back pissed off remembering what happened.  Legend Keeper had no shown fight scenes as I was implying that the history of the area had gang fights;  the chase scene is a good element to write then lead into the fight scene. Thing about the scene at the end of The Chocolate War.   An Eye In Shadows I related my own real life brawls as I wrote one of my bloodiest ones as I punched a guy with a padlock when I was 14 years old;  wrapping a masterlock around the middle finger on my right hand.  I gave him a mean fast right cross to the temple when he was trying to shove me into a locker.   
       House of Spiders saw many fight sequences as Shenouda is an action writer that's what she's known for with her novel Pawn and her second novel.   What sets up the fight scene and this is related -- how do you create a good chance scene?  Sometimes the fight scene that becomes written is when someone walks away from the fight because they know it's too brutal.   I studied Judo, and other hand-to-hand combat forms so you have to imagine how to pull that off.  I was a Greco-Roman wrestler so some fight scenes the character sneaks in a wrestling throw when it's verses a Judo guy.  

Jump to different Forum...