RSS Feed Print
CRIT PARTNER MATCH
snurf
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:52 AM

Has anyone tried Crit Partner Match - http://grou.ps/critpartnermatch/

Any success? Would love to hear about your experience & whether or not you would recommend. Also, are there other such services you know about that have been successful in helping you find a good crit partner? Thanks.

LauraKCurtis
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 9:25 PM

The only good crit partner I have ever found was through my local Sisters in Crime chapter. I know online works for a lot of things, but I just haven't found it to be a workable thing for me for critiquing. (yet)
JSF
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:57 PM

WRWA has been useful for round robin critiques and helped me find a partner. I'd love to see recommendations of where to find another good group or partner.
snurf
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 12:55 PM

Maybe there is some way to arrange crit partnerships via BookCountry? Maybe we should drop this in the suggestion box for Colleen and Danielle. I suppose it could even be done here on the site if there were a way to set up a private discussion with a limited number of participants...or even a temporary chat room.
LauraKCurtis
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 1:18 PM

Snurf-
I chatted with a potential crit partner from here by finding her on Twitter. When someone gives a detailed, constructive review of your work, I suspect that's the best way to get a feel for how well you'd mesh.
Lucid Whisper
Posted: Monday, May 9, 2011 1:26 AM

I joined Crit Partner Match and I actually did meet someone great there, but the site is really slow and I don't have a lot of hope for finding more partners there. It would be awesome if they could work something out here because I'm still looking.
Tara Kollas
Posted: Saturday, June 4, 2011 11:06 PM

I have two awesome betas I met through dumb luck on another site. I've never tried Crit Partner Match. I agree, it would be fantastic to have something similar here. Maybe start a willing betas discussion? That's how I've seen it over at the absolute write forum. Just post your crit style, how much time you're willing to commit. When I take on a MS (I prefer to read the whole thing when it's been revised a few times), I usually ask for the first chapter. I read that and send my comments so the author has a general idea of my crit style. If he/she is happy, I'll read the whole thing. I make it clear what I'm good at (whole picture sort of stuff - I'll point out grammar and typos if I see them, but I'm not the person you want if you're looking for copy editing), and what I'm not.
Eliza Wyatt
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:39 PM

I was part of the original members of Crit Partner Match. I loved the idea, but I found matching crit partners on bios of what they liked to read/write just didn't work. It needed a better site, and better features, and a better idea of what the beta reader was in for before they signed up.

I'm currently working on programming a similar site for beta readers-- a little like BookCountry, actually (though I just stumbled onto this site; I wish I'd found it earlier). My idea was to allow the -authors- to decide who to let see their work, and have their critiques guided by the author's needs. So a potential reader would find a story with a great description and a good sample, apply to be a beta, and the author would grant access or not.
Greta Pinder
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 8:12 PM

I clicked the link to check this out. I have such a hard time finding a critique partner. I've tried a few times. Seriously I tried to help someone and she ended up crying and calling me all sorts of things. My work is work and I want to tell the best story I can, but my characters are not me. I hear about these wonderful people with great beta readers or critique partners, and I wish I found that. Don't get me wrong. I know amazing people in my writing group. I learn so much. But the whole one on one or group partner thing has been a struggle for me. If there is an updated link, please let me know. I need help if I can get it and offer honesty in return.
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:35 AM

Hey, I happened to stumble upon this thread and wanted to throw my hat in. Has anyone started a specific "Find a Crit Partner on BC" thread elsewhere? If so, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm happy to be partnered with someone who also writes mystery or romantic fantasy (I have one story in each category). I think we all realize the value of a good constructive critique!
Dana Reynolds
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:44 PM

I would also welome a way to enter direct discussions with others here. Leaving a crit is fine, but chatting about it would be really cool. Set up chat-dates around particular works, maybe?
Rhyll
Posted: Tuesday, May 1, 2012 2:04 PM

I think Dana's suggestion is a good one. I find that the back-and-forth of a discussion is very helpful.
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:33 PM

Bumping this up!

Jump to different Forum...