RSS Feed Print
How horrible is passive voice?
Yezall Strongheart
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 12:15 PM

Is there a definitive answer on this subject?  I have been told to avoid it like the plague, but sometimes I just have to use it!  Is there a limit to how often to use it or is it just taboo?  
HJakes
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 3:04 AM

Like all writing "rules", this isn't absolute. It might be a pet peeve to some readers, especially those in publishing who maybe see it more often than readers of only published books, but passive voice happens from time to time.

I think it's a matter of being able to identify it, then taking the time to determine whether it's actually necessary.

Do you alternate between passive and descriptive. Could verbs be altered to become more active, thus eliminating the passive voice and replacing, in a way, the description?

Basically just ask yourself, each time you find yourself using it, "how could this be more active?"
Yezall Strongheart
Posted: Sunday, November 4, 2012 9:48 AM

I agree and that is exactly what I do when I find passive voice in something I have written, I ask myself if there is another way to write this better.
Jay Greenstein
Posted: Monday, November 5, 2012 1:12 AM

Passive voice is boring. It informs but it doesn’t entertain, and it doesn’t influence the reader’s emotions. Readers come to us to feel, not to learn, so that matters. Readers don’t want to learn that the protagonist sees something. They want to know what has the character’s attention, what it is to them, why it’s meaningful, and what the protagonist thinks has to be done, and why.

Passive voice is the storyteller leaning back in the chair, spreading her hands, and saying. “Sundays were when Charlie saw Susan. And pleasure was something he derived from their time together.”

That’s as exciting as a rocking chair. But say, “Charlie saw Susan every Sunday, and he loved every moment of their time together,” and it’s active. The subject comes first to guide the reader. But reverse that and put the subject last and it’s like placing effect before cause. It can’t feel as if it's happening as we read.

Passive voice can be useful to give a relaxed and non-hurried, pastoral feel. But, to boot a story into gear use active.

It’s worth noting that while only one of the above versions is in passive voice, both versions are passive writing because nothing is happening. The reader is with the storyteller, not the character living the scene. We’re hearing about the situation, not living it. And that’s something to avoid, if possible, too.

Yezall Strongheart
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:01 PM

I couldn't agree more.  I try not to use it but sometimes I just can't help it... It's a hard habit to break.
Lucy Silag
Posted: Thursday, September 5, 2013 12:38 PM

@Yezall--I am curious about your original post. Is there an example from your prose that you'd show us? I'd love to take a look and see what you mean.

In fiction writing, all bets are off when it comes to style rules--I think it almost always depends on the sentence itself, and what exactly you are trying to convey.

Lucy

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Toni Smalley
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2013 3:44 PM

@Yezall: *gasp* you used a cliché! "..avoid it like the plague…" *throws stones at you*

I'm kiddinghappy Actually, I use passive voice more than I should and don't realize it, so when I go back to edit, I have to pay particular attention to this. I think a writer should only use passive voice when you don't have a definitive subject or when the direct object is more important than the subject is.  

@Lucy: I agree with you on "it almost always depends on the sentence itself, and what exactly you are trying to convey."

I'm reading Joyland by Stephen King right now, and most everybody has heard him talk about adverbs as if they are a disease that sucks the life from your writing, but I found an adverb within the first few pages…I know just one adverb, but I found one! So, what you said Lucy, depends on what you need to accomplish. Moreover, King does say that using adverbs sparingly is fine (which I also think applies to passive voice, in my opinion):

"If you have one on your lawn, it looks pretty and unique. If you fail to root it out, however, you find five the next day . . . fifty the day after that . . . and then, my brothers and sisters, your lawn is totally, completely, and profligately covered with dandelions."

Maybe I shouldn't be comparing the use of adverbs and passive voice, but my point is, understand the rules of style and grammar, but don't be afraid to ignore them once in awhile when you think it is necessary.

napacione
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 7:57 AM

An accent would sound like a passive voice if you never heard the accent before; the Booktango and BookCountry guys needed to hear me on the phone so they could put the voice with the work.   When it's a darker tone to the writing you almost need a both passive and active voice at the same time.  The wording helps but what your subject matter you're exploring.  

Search templates (CTRL+Space)
New TemplateHide button

Jump to different Forum...