RSS Feed Print
Where do your ideas and plot hole solutions come to you?
Ellie Isis
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 11:21 PM

I'm always curious about how other writers' minds work. For example, I dream story. I wake up with entire outlines in my head, or sometimes just a scene or a single character, and I go from there. My husband, on the other hand, works for days, if not weeks, crafting an outline and characters for something new he plans to write.

As for plot hole "fixes," those come to me most often in the shower. I don't know why. But if I have something that needs to be repaired in my story, and I take a shower, the solutions appear. Occasionally, they also come right before I fall asleep or right after I wake up. Rarely, they actually ARE what wake me up. Those can be annoying, but I'm still grateful for that subconscious muse.

My husband fixes plot problems while driving, walking, or biking.

So, when/where do you get your initial ideas, and plot problem solutions?

MB Mulhall
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 9:24 PM

I just did a blog post on this. Most of my ideas come at inconvenient times like yours. Right before bed, in the shower, etc. They make these things called aquanotes, a water proof note pad for the shower! I need to get me one of those.
amberh
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 11:12 PM

My ideas usually come to me at inconvenient times as well, more often than not, when I'm driving lately. I've actually started sending my ideas to my Google Voice number, where they not only get captured but they also get transcribed to my account.

Though, sometimes, with my accent, they don't get transcribed properly... but at times it makes the idea even more interesting.
Marcie
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 11:19 PM

Ideas and solutions reside in my shower, though strangely not in my bathtub.
stephmcgee
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:33 PM

They have taken up residence in my pillow (ideas and plot hole solutions) and at the gym (plot hole solutions). Yes, a very odd juxtaposition of places, but it works. I was at the stock show with my mom a few months back and being there sparked an idea that I wrote down in the notebook I carry with me and keep by my bed/couch/wherever I'm working.

I cannot recall them taking a ride on the shower spray though.
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:46 PM

Mine reside with the dust bunnies under beds and tables. Cleaning is my number one way to break through a plot problem. I have a free World of Warcraft account for being an alpha tester so sometimes I'll hop on there and kill people for a few hours and think over what I'm trying to write.
L R Waterbury
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 2:38 AM

Generally, mine come whenever I can't write anything down. The shower is a frequent one, right before I fall asleep, and on a crowded subway when trying to reach for a notebook results in feeling up a total stranger.

When it comes down to it, solutions to problems or new plot developments and characters find their way into my brain in those "down" moments when I've relaxed my mind and stopped obsessing about whatever stupid little 'daily life' thing I'm usually obsessing about. It's a reflection of our busy lives that the only time we can do any really constructive, imaginative thinking is during the few moments during our days when we CAN actually just stop and let our brains relax. Hence, shower thinking.
Ava DiGioia
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 3:17 PM

Two of my muses favorite places to appear:

During Chavasana at yoga class and the middle of church.

I think it happens at times like all of those mentioned because it is, as LR mentions, when our brains relax.

I know there are times where other events are going on, and I have to hold back the ideas that try to flow until I can write them down.

Samantha Jane
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 12:19 AM

Music. Anytime there's music. Get off the road if I'm in the car. I drive correctly, but I'm usually writing in my head.

Particular movies. It ws Pirates of the Caribbean 2...I think...that had me reading ALL of the books in my apt and then starting book #1, which is still a WiP.

Memories -- certain situations from my past fit into my stories, sometimes. The check is in the mail, guys.

Jump to different Forum...