RSS Feed Print
I need a Hero!
Jack Whitsel
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:18 AM

Back in April, I wrote an article for my blog and other sites that took a quick brush-stroke over the components needed to create a good villain. It's now only fair that I dedicate some time to the characters in our stories that save the day...or at least die trying. But this time, I want to approach the topic a little differently than my "Why We Love to Hate Them" piece. This time out, I require feedback from the readers. This poll will be displayed on other social sites as well and after a month I shall return and give the results.

Question (1): What are the three most important elements that make a good hero? I know all of you can name much more than 3, but I'm limiting the field nonetheless. I will cheat and give you the one component I treasure the most. For me, a hero is defined by the villain (and visa-versa).

Question (2): Name your 3 favorite villains. (I know...another hard selection). The villain can be from a novel, short-story, novella, or even a poem.

After a month I shall return with the results. "Let's here it for the good guys!"

LisaMarie
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:18 AM

Question 1: This can be summed up rather succinctly with one word: integrity.

That word, "integrity," encompasses all heroic attributes. Someone with integrity is brave, loyal and truthful; he knows his own strengths and weaknesses. Someone with integrity is humble, apologetic, compassionate and polite. That's all you need for your hero. Integrity.

Question 2: This too is extremely difficult. Obviously, the villain that comes to mind first is the Dark Man in Stephen King's "The Stand." You can't get more evil than that.

The late Mrs. DeWinter in "Rebecca." She was a real piece of work.

And finally, I'm not sure if you ever read the original "Summer Place," but Molly's mother was just horrendous in both the book and the movie. Evil, evil woman.
Jack Whitsel
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 5:34 PM

Interesting choices of villains Lisa! I predict many others will also include Flagg as a favorite.
Bill Gleason
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 11:31 PM

Three MOST important elements that make a good hero? A sense of honor, which I think LisaMarie was saying, that's first. Second is gumption, the willingness to face overwhelming odds. And third is the ability, in whatever arena, to win the day at the end, no matter how unlikely. It is assumed the hero or heroine is siumultaneously gorgeous, of course.

Favorite villains, have to think about that. Well, okay, Montresor, Hannibal Lector, and Dr. Evil.
Jack Whitsel
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 3:30 PM

Good insights Bill and Ks! Thanks for contributing.
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 3:43 PM

Question 1 Answer- I think LisaMarie nailed it. Integrity, self-sacrifice, morals.

Question 2 Answer- One of the more chilling villains I've read about will probably surprise you guys, but it's from Harry Potter and NOT Voldemort. Dolores Umbridge. There is something about her slimy nastiness that is worse than Voldie, because she can exist under the radar and take advantage of the evil deeds of others to further her own agenda. She thrived on the pain and suffering of others and was little more than a cowardly bully, but look at what wide-spread damage she did over the course of two books. That is the scariest baddie out there, the petty secretary who justifies what they are doing and sees everyone as a number to be pushed around.

Jack Whitsel
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:05 AM

@ivoidwarrenties: intriguing pick and not too surprising since my own sister shares your sentiments. I'd be willing to wager many fans of that genre list her pretty high among the nasty.
Jonathan Face
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:43 AM

#1 - Everything everyone else has said is important and maybe even necessary, but I think a great hero has flaws. I would go so far as to say a good hero often has questionable morality, or at least some nasty habits - and his internal struggle with doing the right thing makes him interesting. I'm kind of thinking of the Han Solo archetype, I guess.

#2. I was going to say Randall Flagg as well. I don't know if these three are my favorites, but:

1. General Woundwort in Watership Down.
2. Sauron in Lord of the Rings. A menacing character that you don't ever see.
3. John the Bastard in Much Ado About Nothing, just cause he's called The Bastard. I think having a good name is important.
Robert C Roman
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:11 PM

Three most important traits for a hero:

1 - Integrity: I see this a little differently to @Lisa, I see it as being true to who and what he is. It does make it difficult to be a *dishonest* hero, but other than that? As long as they know who and what they are, and make no bones about it, I can see them as hero material. That's why I think Han Solo can be a hero, because he never adverts himself as other than a scoundrel. In the same light, it's why I think Jack Sparrow *might* be and Victoria Swann *isn't*.

2 - Self-Sacrifice: A hero is willing to give of himself to help others. Not too much else to say about this, although a willingness to risk himself can be equally effective.

3 - Imperfections: I agree with Jonathan on this one. A hero has to be someone the reader can possibly associate themself with. Otherwise they're 'too good to be true', wandering dangerously close to Mary Sue territory. In some ways, struggling to become or remain a Hero is more interesting than 'being' a Hero,.

Villains:

1 - Dolores Umbridge : Not a Potter fan, but I'll agree her with for what she represents; Beaureacratic evil.

2 - Grand Admiral Thrawn from the expanded Star Wars universe: a misguided Magnificent Bastard. Completely devoted to the goals of the Empire, but other than that a really competent, dangerous character. A win over anyone less than this seems... cheap.

3 - I'll go with Morgoth from the Silmarillion for the same reason Jonathan went with Sauron.

Plus the last two have cool names.
Bill Gleason
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:41 PM

To echo the last few posts, I think the best heroes are products of their time, which means they are going to be flawed unless they were raised in Utopia. It also means that the story world has to be well rounded and internally valid. To cite a few examples, Conan is a product of the Hyborian Age, even if the author conceived of the latter before the former. Likewise, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser can thrive in the solid world of Nehwon. I think there is a definite symbiotic relationship between hero and story world, and the best heroes arise out of the intersection.
Jack Whitsel
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 3:56 AM

@ Bill & Jonathan. We definitely think alike. Some of my heroes must have flaws or there is no room for growth. The greatest battles a hero fights is with himself/herself. I also like to have contrasts with my heroes. A sea of gray with dots of white for everyone to aspire to.

The rest of your commentary was fabulous, gentlemen...Thanks!

@ Richard. Wow! Those are some great villains. I really Like the Star Wars reference, but in that universe...I'm totally a Palpatine or Darth Bane groupy. Thanks Richard!

Jump to different Forum...